How does phosphorus affect people on dialysis?

When people are on dialysis phosphorus can build up in the blood because the kidneys no longer work or do not work well. Normal kidneys help to get rid of phosphorus. A high level of phosphorus in the blood can cause weak and brittle bones, bone pain and itching. Also, high phosphorus can cause calcium to settle inside the blood vessels. When calcium builds up in the blood vessels they can become clogged. This can cause problems for transplant surgery.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Will I need to speak to a psychiatrist if I want to stop dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If your healthcare team is concerned that you want to stop dialysis for solely emotional reasons or ...
How often will I need dialysis?
You will need dialysis treatment anywhere from a few times a week to several times daily, depending ...
Can I go back on dialysis if I change my mind after stopping treatment?
You may go back on dialysis if you change your mind about stopping treatment. If you have missed sev...
What tests indicate whether I'm getting the right amount of dialysis?
One of the measures your dialysis care team may use is called urea reduction ratio (URR). Another me...