How is peritoneal dialysis better than hemodialysis?

In hemodialysis, blood is pumped through an artificial kidney machine and returned to your body by tubes.In peritoneal dialysis, the inside lining of your own belly acts as a natural filter. Wastes are taken out by means of a cleansing fluid called dialysate, which is washed in and out of your belly in cycles.

Some doctors feel that continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) and automated peritoneal dialysis (APD) have several benefits when compared to hemodialysis. With continuous dialysis, you can control extra fluid more easily, and this may reduce stress on the heart and blood vessels. You are able to eat more and use fewer medications. You can do more of your daily activities, and it is easier to work or travel.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What determines my need for dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis replaces some of the work done by healthy kidneys and is needed when your own kidneys can n...
Do children receive the same dialysis treatment as adults?
If children experience advanced kidney failure, they face the same treatment options as adults: dial...
Is dialysis a new medical treatment?
Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis have been done since the mid 1940s. Dialysis, as a regular trea...
How long will I live if I stop dialysis?
How long one continues to live after stopping dialysis varies from person to person. People who stop...