How do I know if peritoneal dialysis would be a good option for me?

Peritoneal dialysis might be a good choice if you:
  • live far from a clinic or have no reliable transportation to a dialysis center
  • are working or are in school
  • like to travel
  • prefer to be in control of your treatment
  • fear needles
  • are expecting a transplant soon

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.