How will my healthcare team react if I want to stop dialysis?

If you decide you want to discontinue dialysis treatment, the members of your healthcare team will want to have a clear understanding of why you made this decision (worsening health, specific treatment problems, depression) to determine if any improvements might be made that could affect your decision. Your doctor, social worker and nurse may all speak to you and encourage you to talk openly about your feelings. 

If you are thinking about stopping dialysis because of specific treatment or other medical problems, your doctor might be able to make some changes that would improve your situation.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Is dialysis a common treatment for kidney failure?
If you have been diagnosed with kidney failure, you are among the 23 million Americans aged 20 years...
Is dialysis expensive?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis costs a lot of money. However, the federal government through the Medicare program pays 80%...
What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?
If you are on dialysis, Medicare is your primary insurance coverage when you travel. Medicare will p...
What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?
Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use s...