How will my healthcare team react if I want to stop dialysis?

If you decide you want to discontinue dialysis treatment, the members of your healthcare team will want to have a clear understanding of why you made this decision (worsening health, specific treatment problems, depression) to determine if any improvements might be made that could affect your decision. Your doctor, social worker and nurse may all speak to you and encourage you to talk openly about your feelings. 

If you are thinking about stopping dialysis because of specific treatment or other medical problems, your doctor might be able to make some changes that would improve your situation.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.