How should I handle food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?

If you are on dialysis, it’s important to handle food carefully to avoid contamination:
  • Wash your hands with soap and warm water before and after handling food.
  • Promptly wash cutting boards, plates and counter tops that come in contact with meat juices or raw meat. Use hot, soapy water. To sanitize after cleaning, put items through the automatic dishwasher or rinse them in a solution of 1 teaspoon of chlorine bleach and 1 quart of water.
  • Handle raw meat, poultry, seafood and eggs as if they were contaminated with bacteria. Even if they do not start out with enough bacteria to make you sick, if mishandled they could.
When cooking, always cook thoroughly. Only thorough cooking will destroy any harmful bacteria in the food. Freezing or rinsing foods in water will not kill the bacteria.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Can a psychologist help a patient who is new to dialysis?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Dialysis is a life sustaining procedure, that requires three long sessions each week. Dialization us...
What happens between dialysis treatments?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Fluid and toxins can build up in your body between dialysis treatments. But you can help reduce thes...
How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...
What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?
Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use s...