How does hemodialysis work?

Hemodialysis is a treatment that replaces the work of your own kidneys to clear wastes and extra fluid from your blood. This is done using a special filter called a dialyzer. Your blood travels through plastic tubing to the dialyzer, where it is cleaned and then returned to your body.

To get your blood into the dialyzer, the doctor needs to make an access, or entrance, into your blood vessels. This is done with minor surgery, usually to your arm. At the beginning of each treatment, two needles are placed into your access. These needles are connected to the plastic tubing that carries your blood to the dialyzer.

Only a small amount of blood remains outside of your body at any given time. The dialysis machine pumps your blood through the dialysis system and controls the treatment time, temperature, fluid removal and pressure.

This basic process is the same for home hemodialysis, except that you and a care partner are trained to do your treatment at home.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How will my healthcare team react if I want to stop dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you decide you want to discontinue dialysis treatment, the members of your healthcare team will w...
How should I prepare for dialysis?
Several weeks or months before your first hemodialysis treatment, your doctor will need to prepare a...
What should I do if I decide to stop dialysis treatment?
If you decide to stop dialysis treatment, you or your surrogate may want to make sure the following ...
Is dialysis painful?
The dialysis treatment itself is painless, but you may have some discomfort when the needles are put...