How does dialysis work?

Dialysis can be done in a hospital, in a dialysis unit that is not part of a hospital, or at home. You and your doctor will decide which place is best, based on your medical condition and your wishes. There are two types of dialysis -- hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.

When your kidneys are functioning properly, they remove waste, fluids, and salts from your blood, all of which are then passed through the urine. When kidneys are in failure, this waste builds up in the blood, causing many complications that, over time, can become severe. Therefore, if you have been diagnosed with kidney failure, your doctor may prescribe dialysis.

Hemodialysis, the most common form of dialysis, works like an artificial kidney by filtering out the toxins in the blood. Blood is drawn from the body through a tube, then filtered through a machine called a dialyzer. After the blood is filtered by the dialyzer, it is pumped back into your body through a second tube. A second type of dialysis, called peritoneal dialysis, works in the same way, except that blood is filtered through a catheter inserted into the abdominal area.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you are on dialysis, Medicare is your primary insurance coverage when you travel. Medicare will p...
Is dialysis expensive?
Dialysis costs a lot of money. However, the federal government through the Medicare program pays 80%...
What do I need to know about caring for someone in dialysis treatment?
Being in dialysis therapy can be overwhelming. Your support and care will go a long way in helping s...
What determines my need for dialysis?
Dialysis replaces some of the work done by healthy kidneys and is needed when your own kidneys can n...