How does dialysis affect the body?

Dialysis works like an artificial kidney by removing waste from the body. In hemodialysis, the most common type of dialysis, the blood is removed from the body and waste is filtered from the blood before being pumped back into the body. This is done with either short- or long-term access to the bloodstream. Hemodialysis is usually required three times a week.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Are there any serious complications from dialysis?
Serious complications can develop from dialysis, especially if your treatment plan is not followed c...
When is dialysis prescribed?
Dialysis is prescribed when the kidneys are in failure, or only 10%-15% of normal kidney function re...
Can I prevent the need for dialysis?
Dialysis is required when the kidneys are in failure. The diseases that most commonly lead to kidney...
What can I do if I have nausea and vomiting when on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Nausea and vomiting are associated with kidney disease in general, but low blood pressure and excess...