How does the dialyzer clean my blood in hemodialysis?

A dialyzer, or filter, has two parts that are used to clean your blood in hemodialysis. One part is for your blood and the other is for a washing fluid called dialysate. A thin membrane separates these two parts. Blood cells, protein and other important things remain in your blood because they are too big to pass through the membrane. Smaller waste products in the blood, such as urea, creatinine, potassium and extra fluid, pass through the membrane and are washed away.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How can I get rid of excess fluid weight caused by dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
In order to avoid excess fluid weight gain when you are on dialysis, you should maintain a healthy f...
Are there any serious complications from dialysis?
Serious complications can develop from dialysis, especially if your treatment plan is not followed c...
How will my healthcare team react if I want to stop dialysis?
If you decide you want to discontinue dialysis treatment, the members of your healthcare team will w...
Are there any alternatives to dialysis?
Dialysis is a treatment for advanced kidney failure, which can be fatal if left untreated. When kidn...