How will dialysis affect me on a daily basis?

Rest assured that hundreds of thousands of people who are in dialysis therapy conduct normal, healthy lives. If you need dialysis to treat acute kidney failure, you may only need dialysis for a short period of time. However, if you have chronic kidney failure, you may need dialysis on a permanent basis. Dialysis is performed at a clinic, hospital, or your home. You may rest, read, sleep, or watch TV during the process, which usually takes anywhere from two to five hours, depending on the frequency.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How does my child's diet need to change before dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Before dialysis, some diet changes may be needed for your child. Phosphorus usually is limited at th...
Can I stop dialysis treatment if I want to?
There may come a time when you feel you want to discontinue dialysis treatment. You may feel that di...
How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...
What can I do if I have nausea and vomiting when on dialysis?
Nausea and vomiting are associated with kidney disease in general, but low blood pressure and excess...