How much control do I have over my dialysis treatment?

You as the person on dialysis have a great deal of control over your treatments. There is a bill of rights which includes receiving quality care, counseling about your medical information and an expectation of privacy. You also have responsibilities. Once you decide on a course of treatment, it's important to follow the recommendations of your healthcare team. If you decide to receive in-center dialysis, arrive on time so that you can receive the full treatment without delays.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.