How do I perform continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis?

Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) is the only type of peritoneal dialysis that is done without machines. You do this yourself, usually four or five times a day at home and/or at work. You put a bag of dialysate (about two quarts) into your peritoneal cavity through the catheter. The dialysate stays there for about four or five hours before it is drained back into the bag and thrown away. This is called an exchange. You use a new bag of dialysate each time you do an exchange. While the dialysate is in your peritoneal cavity, you can go about your usual activities at work, at school or at home.
People perform continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) themselves by attaching a plastic bag filled with cleansing fluid to the tube in the abdomen and raising it to shoulder level. This causes the fluid to run into the abdomen. The bag is then unhooked or rolled up around the waist. In several hours, the fluid is drained out and thrown away. A fresh bag of fluid is then put into the abdomen to begin cleansing again. This is called an "exchange" and takes about 30-45 minutes. It is done 4 or 5 times a day. Between exchanges, the person can move around and perform daily activities.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How will I pay for my dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis is expensive. However, the federal government's Medicare program pays 80% of all dialysis c...
What is dialysis?
Dialysis is a medical treatment that removes waste from the body when the kidneys are in failure. No...
Do children receive the same dialysis treatment as adults?
If children experience advanced kidney failure, they face the same treatment options as adults: dial...
What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?
If you are on dialysis, Medicare is your primary insurance coverage when you travel. Medicare will p...