How is an access made for hemodialysis?

Sometimes, an access for hemodialysis is made by joining an artery to a vein under your skin to make a bigger blood vessel called a fistula.

However, if your blood vessels are not adequate for a fistula, the doctor may use a soft plastic tube to join an artery and a vein under your skin. This is called a graft.

Occasionally, an access is made by means of a narrow plastic tube, called a catheter, which is inserted into a large vein in your neck. This type of access may be temporary, but is sometimes used for long-term treatment.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What should I do if I decide to stop dialysis treatment?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you decide to stop dialysis treatment, you or your surrogate may want to make sure the following ...
How does a kidney dialysis machine work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A dialysis machine mimics some of the functions of a human kidney. A primary job of kidneys is to re...
Is it safe to reuse my dialyzer each dialysis treatment?
With proper cleaning, it is generally safe to reuse your dialyzer each dialysis treatment. Before yo...
When would I need dialysis?
You need dialysis if your kidneys no longer remove enough wastes and fluid from your blood to keep y...