Can I stop dialysis treatment if I want to?

There may come a time when you feel you want to discontinue dialysis treatment. You may feel that dialysis is no longer maintaining or improving your quality of life. If this occurs, it is important to know that you have the right to make the decision to stop dialysis. You are encouraged to discuss your reasons for wanting to stop treatment with your doctor, other members of your healthcare team and your loved ones before making a final decision.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Can a psychologist help a patient who is new to dialysis?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Dialysis is a life sustaining procedure, that requires three long sessions each week. Dialization us...
What types of dialysis are there?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis is a way of cleaning your blood when your kidneys no longer can. It gets rid of your body's...
How does phosphorus affect people on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
When people are on dialysis phosphorus can build up in the blood because the kidneys no longer work ...
Are there any alternatives to dialysis?
Dialysis is a treatment for advanced kidney failure, which can be fatal if left untreated. When kidn...