Can I stop dialysis treatment if I want to?

There may come a time when you feel you want to discontinue dialysis treatment. You may feel that dialysis is no longer maintaining or improving your quality of life. If this occurs, it is important to know that you have the right to make the decision to stop dialysis. You are encouraged to discuss your reasons for wanting to stop treatment with your doctor, other members of your healthcare team and your loved ones before making a final decision.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Will I need to take any medications during dialysis?
Dialysis treats kidney failure. If your doctor has prescribed dialysis, they may also recommend seve...
What are the most common side effects of dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Many people on dialysis experience side effects of treatment. The most common side effects are: ...
How long can I live on dialysis?
Now that doctors know more about how to treat kidney failure, people with the condition can live lon...
How can I get rid of excess fluid weight caused by dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
To get rid of excess fluid weight caused by dialysis follow these tips: Drink only when thirsty....