Can I receive dialysis at home?

The great majority of people on dialysis receive treatment at a hospital or clinic, but the number of those receiving home dialysis is growing. There are great advantages to home dialysis, since going to a clinic three to six times a week for several hours at a time can be very stressful and inconvenient. Both types of dialysis, hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis, can be administered at home. You will need to undergo extensive training to learn how to do home dialysis, and you will still need to go to a clinic at least once a month and provide a blood sample to monitor the success of your treatment.

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
Yes, dialysis can be done in your home. You and your doctor will decide which place is best, based on your medical condition and your needs.  Both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis can be administered at home.  If you and your doctor select home treatment, intensive training will be done to ensure you are comfortable and confident in the total treatment option.  You will still follow up with your doctor at regular intervals to measure the success of your treatment.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Will I need to speak to a psychiatrist if I want to stop dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If your healthcare team is concerned that you want to stop dialysis for solely emotional reasons or ...
How can I get rid of excess fluid weight caused by dialysis?
In order to avoid excess fluid weight gain when you are on dialysis, you should maintain a healthy f...
How can I tell if I am eating the right foods if I am on hemodialysis?
If you are on hemodialysis, you have some very special dietary needs. Eating well helps you stay hea...
How does dialysis affect what I drink?
Dialysis can help you overcome kidney failure and greatly improve your health. However, you will nee...