Can I prevent the need for dialysis?

Dialysis is required when the kidneys are in failure. The diseases that most commonly lead to kidney failure are diabetes and high blood pressure. Therefore, you may be able to prevent the eventual need for dialysis with a healthy diet, exercise, and regular checkups.

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

Preventing the need for dialysis is, first and foremost, preventing chronic kidney disease (CKD).  Chronic kidney disease may be caused by high blood pressure, diabetes and other disorders.  Close monitoring and treatment of these illnesses are  necessary to keep CKF from getting worse. Early detection of the progression of kidney disease is so important.    Seek medical attention for any of these disorders.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Will I need to speak to a psychiatrist if I want to stop dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If your healthcare team is concerned that you want to stop dialysis for solely emotional reasons or ...
What are the most common side effects of dialysis?
Many people on dialysis experience side effects of treatment. The most common side effects are: ...
How long can I live on dialysis?
Now that doctors know more about how to treat kidney failure, people with the condition can live lon...
Is dialysis a new medical treatment?
Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis have been done since the mid 1940s. Dialysis, as a regular trea...