Can I do home hemodialysis when traveling?

You can do home hemodialysis when you are traveling, although most people make arrangements for in-center treatment. People who wish to continue doing their own treatment should check with their dialysis care team about doing home dialysis away from home.

Some people travel with their machines, supplies, and portable water treatment equipment. An example would be people who have dialyzed at campsites that are equipped with hook-ups for electricity.

Even if you do your own treatment, it is important to know the location of the closest dialysis center if you need assistance. Let the center know when you will be in the area, and ask if they would be willing to provide medical assistance, if needed. Carry complete medical information with you. Remember that most dialysis and equipment companies have toll-free numbers for assistance 24 hours a day. Carry these numbers with you.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What types of dialysis are there?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis is a way of cleaning your blood when your kidneys no longer can. It gets rid of your body's...
What will happen to me if I stop dialysis?
After stopping dialysis, death from kidney failure is usually painless. However, if you do feel any ...
Is it safe to reuse my dialyzer each dialysis treatment?
With proper cleaning, it is generally safe to reuse your dialyzer each dialysis treatment. Before yo...
What are the effects of fluid build-up caused by dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Fluid build-up caused by dialysis treatments can lead to: swelling high blood pressure short...