Can I do home hemodialysis when traveling?

You can do home hemodialysis when you are traveling, although most people make arrangements for in-center treatment. People who wish to continue doing their own treatment should check with their dialysis care team about doing home dialysis away from home.

Some people travel with their machines, supplies, and portable water treatment equipment. An example would be people who have dialyzed at campsites that are equipped with hook-ups for electricity.

Even if you do your own treatment, it is important to know the location of the closest dialysis center if you need assistance. Let the center know when you will be in the area, and ask if they would be willing to provide medical assistance, if needed. Carry complete medical information with you. Remember that most dialysis and equipment companies have toll-free numbers for assistance 24 hours a day. Carry these numbers with you.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Does dialysis cure kidney failure?
Dialysis does not cure kidney failure, but in certain cases it may reverse this condition and restor...
How can I get rid of excess fluid weight caused by dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
In order to avoid excess fluid weight gain when you are on dialysis, you should maintain a healthy f...
What are the risk factors for diseases that require dialysis?
Dialysis treats acute and chronic kidney failure. Some of the diseases that commonly cause kidney fa...
What are important things to remember if I am on a hemodialysis diet?
The following important tips can be helpful with your diet if you are on hemodialysis: Fresh or ...