Can I eat dairy if I am on hemodialysis?

If you are on hemodialysis, limit your intake of milk, yogurt and cheese to 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup yogurt or 1 ounce cheese per day. Most dairy foods are very high in phosphorus.

Please note that the phosphorus content is the same for all types of dairy milk -- skim, low fat and whole. It's also important to remember to take your phosphate binders with every meal or snack.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.