When should I call my doctor after a mediastinoscopy?

After a mediastinoscopy (a surgical procedure done to examine the mediastinum -- the area inside of the upper chest, between and in front of the lungs), call your doctor:
  • to make a follow-up appointment
  • if you have severe pain not relieved by the medicine
  • if your incision becomes reddened or swollen, or begins to drain
  • if your temperature is above 101 degrees F
  • if you notice any changes in your voice or have trouble breathing

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Diagnostic Procedures

Diagnostic Procedures

Allergy tests, echocardiograms, biopsies, semen analysis and spinal taps are just a few of the medical diagnostic procedures that are performed on patients diagnose diseases and conditions. These classification procedures do not i...

nvolve x-ray imaging or a surgical procedure, but, involve taking measurements and samples of fluids, tissues and cells. Learn more about diagnostic procedures from our experts.