When should I call my doctor after a mediastinoscopy?

After a mediastinoscopy (a surgical procedure done to examine the mediastinum -- the area inside of the upper chest, between and in front of the lungs), call your doctor:
  • to make a follow-up appointment
  • if you have severe pain not relieved by the medicine
  • if your incision becomes reddened or swollen, or begins to drain
  • if your temperature is above 101 degrees F
  • if you notice any changes in your voice or have trouble breathing

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What questions should I ask when my doctor says I need a test?
Not all medical tests are necessary, and some may be unwise in certain circumstances. All have poten...
What is nanotechnology, and how can it help diagnose and treat patients?
PhRMAPhRMA
You can't see it, but soon it will be everywhere. Nanotechnology is the science of building micr...