What are the risks of a discectomy or microdiscectomy?

Hooman M. Melamed, MD
Neurosurgery

As with any surgery, there are always risks invloved.  With both a discectomy or a microdiscectomy, these risks include: infection, bleeding, nerve damage, reherniation, pain and stiffness among others.  Patients who are overweight and diabetes have higher risks of infection and reherniation.  A microdiscectomy is considered a minimally invasive surgery making the chance for risks or complications significantly less.

One of the more common risks with all patients is reherniating the disc again.  I recommend to my patients to be very careful initially and to participate in a very strong rehab and physical therapy program in order to build up core muscles and minimize the chances of the same injury reoccurring.  

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
How is my functional status checked if I have a terminal illness?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
If you have a terminal illness, your doctor may ask the following questions when reviewing your func...
What happens before a tilt table procedure?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The following are the things you need to know before a tilt table procedure to assess syncope or...