What are the possible risks and complications of a PEG tube?

Complications can occur with the percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) placement. Possible complications include pain at the PEG site, leakage of stomach contents around the tube site and dislodgment or malfunction of the tube. Possible complications include infection of the PEG site, aspiration (inhalation of stomach contents into the lungs), bleeding and perforation (an unwanted hole in the bowel wall). Your doctor can describe symptoms to watch for that could indicate a possible complication.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What should I expect during a test that uses IV contrast material?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The experience of having an intravenous (IV) contrast material varies from person to person. Her...
Can the type of lung surgery I have influence my risk of opioid dependency?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The type of lung surgery you have can influence your risk of opioid dependency. The results of a com...