What is minimally invasive thoracic surgery (or VATS)?

Minimally invasive thoracic surgery is also known by the name VATS (short for video-assisted thoracic surgery). Utilizing specially-adapted, videoendoscopic instruments, VATS is used for a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures and involves smaller incisions in the chest wall without the need to spread the ribs to gain access to the lungs or esophagus. In select patients, most procedures that can be done through a standard incision can also be performed with VATS. Benefits for patients include less postoperative pain, shorter hospital stays, faster recovery from surgery, and a quicker return to full activity.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
How is my functional status checked if I have a terminal illness?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
If you have a terminal illness, your doctor may ask the following questions when reviewing your func...
What is an evoked potential test?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
A diagnostic tool, evoked potential tests, involve the placement of electrodes on the head and body....