What is urine testing?

Urine testing is also called urinalysis. It is a test of a urine sample to diagnose diseases of the urinary system and other body systems. Urine may also be checked for signs of bleeding. Some tests use a single urine sample. For others, 24-hour collection may be needed. Sometimes a sample is "cultured" to see exactly what type of bacteria grows.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
How is my functional status checked if I have a terminal illness?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
If you have a terminal illness, your doctor may ask the following questions when reviewing your func...
How is my medical status checked if I have a terminal illness?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
Your doctor may ask the following questions when reviewing your medical status if you have a termina...