What is a high dose dexamethasone suppression test?

The high dose dexamethasone suppression test will check if the body lowers the cortisol production in response to large doses of artificial steroid. This test is performed by giving the patient 8 mg of dexamethasone at 11 pm and measuring the blood cortisol level the next morning at 8 am. Patients with Cushing's disease (pituitary adenoma) may lower the amount of steroid made in the body while patients with an ectopic tumor usually will not. 

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What is spirometry?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Spirometry is a test that can tell if people have trouble breathing. This is a sign that the muscles...
Can the type of lung surgery I have influence my risk of opioid dependency?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The type of lung surgery you have can influence your risk of opioid dependency. The results of a com...