What should I expect during a prostate exam?

During the exam, a healthcare provider inserts a finger into the rectum about 1 to 2 inches to feel for the prostate. It should feel smooth and symmetrical if it’s healthy. A prostate that feels irregular could indicate an issue that requires further testing.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
When should I be screened for a specific disease?
In general, screening is a good thing when:The disease being screened for is a significant health pr...
What is flexible sigmoidoscopy?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
A flexible sigmoidoscopy is a test in which the doctor looks at part of the colon and rectum with a ...