What is the difference between an endoscopy and a capsule endoscopy?

Michael Albertson, MD
Gastroenterology
The difference between an endoscopy and a capsule endoscopy is the way in which each procedure is performed. In an endoscopy, a long thin tube with a camera on the end is passed into the body and produces images of the intestines on a monitor. The endoscope can also be used to perform a biopsy if necessary.

In a capsule endoscopy, you swallow a pill containing a miniature camera and then wear a special vest throughout the day that records images from the camera. If a biopsy is needed, however, it must be done in a separate procedure.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What can I expect when I arrive for an endoscopy?
Citrus Memorial HospitalCitrus Memorial Hospital
When you arrive for an endoscopy you'll have a preoperative check where you'll receive an IV and hav...
What are biospecimen?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Biospecimen are samples of material, such as urine, blood, tissue, cells, DNA, RNA, and protein from...