What should I ask my doctor before a cardiovascular ultrasound test?

The following questions can help you talk to your physician about an ultrasound test or a duplex ultrasound. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.

Ultrasound:
  • What symptoms or test results indicated that an ultrasound test might be beneficial?
  • What will the ultrasound test tell us about the health of my heart, blood vessels, or kidneys?
  • What happens next if the ultrasound test identifies a possible problem?
Duplex ultrasound:
  • What will the duplex ultrasound test tell us about the health of my blood vessels?
  • What happens next if the duplex ultrasound test identifies a possible problem?

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What is nanotechnology, and how can it help diagnose and treat patients?
PhRMAPhRMA
You can't see it, but soon it will be everywhere. Nanotechnology is the science of building micr...
What is an upper endoscopy?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
This procedure allows your physician to examine the inside of the esophagus, stomach or duodenum (th...