What is an arterial blood gas analysis?

An arterial blood gas (ABG) analysis measure the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood to determine how well your lungs are working. The measurements tell how well the lungs are moving oxygen into the blood and remove carbon dioxide from the blood.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Can the type of lung surgery I have influence my risk of opioid dependency?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The type of lung surgery you have can influence your risk of opioid dependency. The results of a com...
What will my doctor evaluate before my lung surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Your doctor will evaluate a variety of health indicators including lung function and cardiac functio...