How is an ultrasound test performed?

You will experience little or no discomfort during an ultrasound test. Before the test, the technologist will ask you to lie flat on a table. A gel is applied to the skin over the arteries that will be examined. The gel improves transmission and reception of the ultrasound waves. The technician then presses the transducer against the skin over the area of your body being examined and slides it back and forth. The pressure may cause minimal discomfort. As the wand moves, it sends information to a computer that produces images that can be recorded and viewed on a screen.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What is endoscopic ultrasonography?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) is an endoscopic technique that provides highly accurate imaging of muco...
How is a pulse oximetry screen performed?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The pulse oximeter has a lighted probe that is temporarily attached to the baby’s finger, ear lobe o...
Can the type of lung surgery I have influence my risk of opioid dependency?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The type of lung surgery you have can influence your risk of opioid dependency. The results of a com...