How does thoracentesis help diagnose lung cancer?

A thoracentesis can help diagnose lung cancer and determine how widely the cancer has spread.  During this procedure, the doctor places a needle between your ribs to drain fluid that has gathered around the lungs. This fluid is called a pleural effusion. The fluid is examined under a microscope for cancer cells.

Cancerous pleural fluid can be a sign that the cancer has spread to the tissues that cover the lungs (called pleural membranes). Fluid buildup can also prevent the lungs from filling with air, so thoracentesis can improve your breathing.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What is evidence-based medicine?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
Evidence based medicine has been the buzz-word for doctors who have been trained in the last 15-20 y...
Why should I have a digital rectal exam if my PSA result is abnormal?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You should have a digital rectal exam if your prostate specific antigen (PSA) result is abnormal bec...