How is a pulse oximetry screen performed?

The pulse oximeter has a lighted probe that is temporarily attached to the baby’s finger, ear lobe or foot. The light is not hot and will not cause a burn if left attached to the body. Once the baby’s finger is attached to the probe (usually by a sticker), the red light of the probe reads the amount of oxygen carried by the blood. The oxygen level is tested in both arms and both feet. With some kinds of congenital heart disease, the numbers can be different in the arms compared to the legs. It also helps to validate the test to do it in all of the extremities. The time required to complete this test is approximately 1 to 5 minutes.

Pulse oximetry screening is done when a baby is at least 24 hours of age, or as late as possible if the baby is to be discharged from the hospital before he or she is 24 hours of age.

The test is done using a machine called a pulse oximeter, with sensors placed on the baby's skin. The test is painless and takes only a few minutes.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
How are lung function tests performed?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Lung function tests provide information about how well your lungs are working and are painless and n...
What information can a duplex ultrasound test give?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
Duplex ultrasound is an imaging test to see how blood moves through arteries or veins in the body. I...
What questions should I ask when my doctor says I need a test?
Not all medical tests are necessary, and some may be unwise in certain circumstances. All have poten...