How do I prepare for a flexible sigmoidoscopy?

Your doctor will tell you what cleansing routine to use to prepare for your flexible sigmoidoscopy. In general, preparation consists of one or two enemas prior to the procedure but could include laxatives or dietary modifications as well. However, in some circumstances, your doctor might advise you to forgo any special preparation. Because the rectum and lower colon must be completely empty for the procedure to be accurate, it is important to follow your doctor's instructions carefully. 

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What is diagnostic ultrasound used for?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Major applications of ultrasound include obstetrical imaging, abdominal imaging, and Doppler ima...
What should I expect during a test that uses IV contrast material?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The experience of having an intravenous (IV) contrast material varies from person to person. Her...