How should I prepare for my bronchoscopy?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
You must abstain from aspirin and ibuprofen-containing medications. This includes but is not limited to Advil. Motrin, Nuprin, and Aleve these medications can cause increased bleeding. Tylenol Notify your physician if you are taking blood thinning medication. On the night before the procedure, do not eat or drink anything after midnight, unless your doctor gives you different instructions. If you usually take medications in the morning, ask your doctor whether you should take them as usual or if they should be taken after the test. When you come for the procedure, bring a list of any medications you are taking, along with the dose of each medication. Dress comfortably and leave valuables at home.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What should I expect during a test that uses IV contrast material?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The experience of having an intravenous (IV) contrast material varies from person to person. Her...
What is the difference between an endoscopy and a transnasal esophagoscopy?
Jonathan Aviv, MDJonathan Aviv, MD
The difference between an endoscopy and a transnasal esophagoscopy is that you need to be sedated fo...