How can opioid dependency following lung surgery be prevented?

To prevent opioid dependency following lung surgery it is vitally important for people to discuss pain management with their surgeon and other healthcare providers prior to surgery. Together with their surgeon, people undergoing lung surgery should develop a plan to appropriately manage their pain while also minimizing their risk of taking these medications for longer than intended after surgery. Issues that should be discussed include the following:

• details of the surgical operation
  • the risks of using opioids
  • alternatives to opioids for pain management
  • the person's expectations for pain after surgery
  • instructions for the proper disposal of unused pills

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Once a patient is in the exam room, what is involved in making a diagnosis?
Steven V. Gurland, MDSteven V. Gurland, MD
 Once the patient is in the exam room the health care provider needs to take a detailed history from...
How is my medical status checked if I have a terminal illness?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
Your doctor may ask the following questions when reviewing your medical status if you have a termina...