How is my medical status checked if I have a terminal illness?

Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Your doctor may ask the following questions when reviewing your medical status if you have a terminal illness:
  • What other health problems do you have? Other diagnoses?
  • What medications, drugs or treatments are you now taking?
  • What treatment options have you been given? Curative, major interventions, or comfort care and hospice?
  • Do you live in an urban or rural area? This may affect care options.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What is cell culture?
A cell culture is the growth of microorganisms such as bacteria and yeast, or human, plant, or anima...
What is the risk of opioid dependency following lung surgery?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Many people become opioid dependent following lung surgery. While the use of opioids after lung surg...
What is the difference between an endoscopy and a transnasal esophagoscopy?
Jonathan Aviv, MDJonathan Aviv, MD
The difference between an endoscopy and a transnasal esophagoscopy is that you need to be sedated fo...