How does an essential metabolics analysis (EMA) help assess fatigue?

Emilia Klapp
This is a diagnostic test that can help a doctor pinpoint the cause of a patient’s fatigue. Also called an EMA nutrient analysis, this test measures how different vitamins and minerals affect the growth of cells in the immune system. This test measures:
  • Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, folic acid, pantothenic acid, and biotin
  • The minerals calcium, magnesium, and zinc
  • The amino acids serine, glutamine, and asparagines
  • The fatty acid called oleic acid
  • Carbohydrate levels such as the glucose/insulin metabolism and
         fructose intolerance
  • The metabolites choline and inositol

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What is pulse oximetry?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
A pulse oximetry screen is a noninvasive (and painless) test performed on all newborn babies to dete...
Can the type of lung surgery I have influence my risk of opioid dependency?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The type of lung surgery you have can influence your risk of opioid dependency. The results of a com...