Which endoscopy procedures are used to visualize the colon?

Doctors often rely on an endoscope to visualize the inside of the body. A long flexible tube fixed with a tiny fiber optic camera is threaded into an opening to illuminate and magnify the tissue while it is displayed on a computer screen. There are two procedures that visualize the colon using endoscopes, a colonoscopy and a sigmoidoscopy.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What should I expect during a test that uses IV contrast material?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The experience of having an intravenous (IV) contrast material varies from person to person. Her...
How is my functional status checked if I have a terminal illness?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
If you have a terminal illness, your doctor may ask the following questions when reviewing your func...