Does an endoscopy require anesthesia?

Endoscopy is a nonsurgical procedure that uses a camera with a light to see your gastrointestinal tract. Before the procedure, you will usually be given medicine to make you feel sleepy and relaxed. This is called sedation and will make you more comfortable. The sedation used often works quickly and does not last long.
Patients undergoing endoscopy are usually given some sort of sedation, says Kesha Culbertson, RN, of Riverside Community Hospital. In this video, she explains what situations call for the use of anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What is a diagnostic electrophysiology study?
Northside HospitalNorthside Hospital
A diagnostic electrophysiology study is an EKG reading that sends small wires through the veins to t...
What is a dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) test?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
This is one of the most popular bone-density tests. DXA or DEXA stands for Dual-energy X-ray Abs...
What questions should I ask when my doctor says I need a test?
Not all medical tests are necessary, and some may be unwise in certain circumstances. All have poten...