How is a cystometry test used to diagnose overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Cystometry is a test to determine how your bladder functions, how much urine it can hold, and any urge sensations you may have. It measures pressure as your bladder is slowly being filled. There are different types of cystometry testing but all of them require a catheter inserted into your bladder. 

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Can the type of lung surgery I have influence my risk of opioid dependency?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The type of lung surgery you have can influence your risk of opioid dependency. The results of a com...
What is pathology?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
There are two parts to pathology—clinical pathology and anatomic pathology. Pathology tests can help...