Can the type of lung surgery I have influence my risk of opioid dependency?

The type of lung surgery you have can influence your risk of opioid dependency. The results of a comprehensive study showed that people who underwent an open, traditional lung resection with a large incision had nearly double the risk of becoming long-term opioid users in comparison to those who received their operations via a minimally invasive approach such as video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS). The researchers found that 17 percent of people who underwent a traditional lung operation went on to become new persistent opioid users, compared to 9 percent of the people who received a minimally invasive lung surgery.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What happens after a test that uses an intravenous (IV) contrast material?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After a test that includes an intravenous (IV) contrast material, your kidneys will help to filt...
What is a prognosis?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
Prognosis refers to how serious the doctor believes your medical situation is. A prognosis is usuall...