Can limbs be transplanted?

Transplantation of limbs is relatively new and the technique is still developing, but experimentation has shown some promising results. Transplanting a limb is an extremely complicated surgery, but several patients have been recipients of successful hand transplants at Jewish Hospital, which is based at the Louisville Medical Center at the University of Louisville in Kentucky.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What is evidence-based medicine?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
Evidence based medicine has been the buzz-word for doctors who have been trained in the last 15-20 y...
What will my doctor evaluate before my lung surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Your doctor will evaluate a variety of health indicators including lung function and cardiac functio...