What is a thyroid scan?

A thyroid scan can refer to a Nuclear Medicine study or an Ultrasound study. In the former, a radioactive isotope is injected which is metabolized in the thyroid. Some areas will metabolize the isotope avidly ("hot spots") compared to a normal background while other areas will metabolize less than normal ("cold spots"). Cold spots can be due to a malignant lesion which can prompt a biopsy. The Nuclear Medicine study is based on thyroid function while the Ultrasound study has a much higher resolution and used to evaluate whether a nodule needs to be sampled.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Imaging

Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
In the late 1800s, Ralph Waldo Emerson was credited with saying “Build a better mousetrap and the world will b...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What is the purpose of imaging studies for my baby in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Your baby may have occasional imaging studies while she is in the NICU. Imaging procedures allow you...
What should I ask the doctor if I need medical tests that use radiation?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
If you have questions or concerns about a test that uses radiation that has been recommended for...