What is a bone scan?

A bone scan is a technique to create images of bones on a computer screen or on film. A small amount of radioactive material is injected into a blood vessel and travels through the bloodstream; it collects in the bones and is detected by a scanner.

This answer is based on source material from the National Cancer Institute.  

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Imaging

Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
In the late 1800s, Ralph Waldo Emerson was credited with saying “Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.” Even though hi...
Ask Oz and Roizen: Coronary Calcium Scanning, and MRIs' Effect on Tattoos
Q: My 45-year-old brother is a fireman. When he started getting short of breath, his GP sent him to a cardiologist. Everyone figured it was asthma, bu...
What is the purpose of imaging studies for my baby in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Your baby may have occasional imaging studies while she is in the NICU. Imaging procedures allow you...
How can I avoid overdoses from imaging tests?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
Imaging tests are common and useful, but care needs to be exercised to make sure you are not acciden...