What should I ask the doctor if I need medical tests that use radiation?

If you have questions or concerns about a test that uses radiation that has been recommended for you, the list of questions below can help you start a conversation with your doctor or practitioner.
  1. What information will this test give us about my cardiovascular disease?
  2. What are the benefits of this test?
  3. What are the risks of this test?
  4. How much radiation will I be exposed to?
  5. Should I worry about this test’s contribution to my lifetime cumulative radiation dose?
  6. I have had tests in the past that use radiation. Should I be worried about further testing?

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Imaging

Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
In the late 1800s, Ralph Waldo Emerson was credited with saying “Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.” Even though hi...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
What is a nuclear medicine specialist?
A nuclear medicine specialist is an expert in the use of small amounts of radioactive materials to a...
What is a breast imager?
Preya Ananthakrishnan, MDPreya Ananthakrishnan, MD
A breast imager is a dedicated breast radiologist, who is an expert in imaging studies of the breast...