What should I ask my doctor about a magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA)?

The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having a magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA). Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.
  • What information will an MRA give us about the health of my blood vessels?
  • Why is an MRA being recommended? (That is, what symptom or test result needs further exploration?)
  • What are the potential benefits for me of an MRA?
  • What are my individual risks from an MRA?
  • If I have an implanted metallic device, is an MRA safe for me?
  • What happens next if an MRA indicates that I have a problem with a blood vessel?

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Imaging

Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
In the late 1800s, Ralph Waldo Emerson was credited with saying “Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.” Even though hi...
Is Your CT Scan or X-ray Necessary?
Is Your CT Scan or X-ray Necessary?
Every day 19,500 computed tomography (CT) scans are performed in the United States. From 2005 to 2007, more than 70 percent of American adults were za...
What is a lung scan?
A lung scan is an imaging test to help in the diagnosis of certain lung conditions or to follow the ...
What is fistulography?
Society of Interventional RadiologySociety of Interventional Radiology
Fistulography is an internal diagnostic imaging technique performed by an interventional radiologist...