How can a bone mineral density test help monitor my bone health?

Bone density is a critical component of bone health. Denser bones usually mean stronger bones that are less likely to fracture and break. To measure your bone mass, you can get a bone mineral density test. The best bone density test is the dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA). This test measures the density of your bones at the spine and hip. Finding the results of this test can help you be aware of and manage your bone health.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Imaging

Ask Oz and Roizen: Coronary Calcium Scanning, and MRIs' Effect on Tattoos
Q: My 45-year-old brother is a fireman. When he started getting short of breath, his GP sent him to a cardiologist. Everyone figured it was asthma, bu...
Is Your CT Scan or X-ray Necessary?
Is Your CT Scan or X-ray Necessary?
Every day 19,500 computed tomography (CT) scans are performed in the United States. From 2005 to 2007, more than 70 percent of American adults were za...
Is optical coherence tomography safe?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Optical coherence tomography (OCT) was only recently approved for use in the United States, but its ...
How much radiation will I receive from a medical test?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Radiation dose is measured with a unit called a millisievert (mSv). The radiation for various me...