How can a bone mineral density test help monitor my bone health?

Bone density is a critical component of bone health. Denser bones usually mean stronger bones that are less likely to fracture and break. To measure your bone mass, you can get a bone mineral density test. The best bone density test is the dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA). This test measures the density of your bones at the spine and hip. Finding the results of this test can help you be aware of and manage your bone health.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Imaging

Ask Oz and Roizen: Coronary Calcium Scanning, and MRIs' Effect on Tattoos
Q: My 45-year-old brother is a fireman. When he started getting short of breath, his GP sent him to a cardiologist. Everyone figured it was asthma, bu...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
How does a thyroid scan diagnose thyroid disorders?
Rose Medical CenterRose Medical Center
The most sensitive test for scanning for thyroid cancer is the neck ultrasound. In some cases, thyro...
When should I get a bone density test?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
The United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends bone density testing for women ...