Can I receive DaTscan if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

Women who are pregnant should receive DaTscan only if the benefits of getting it outweigh the risks. This drug, which is sometimes used in combination with brain scans to help a doctor diagnose Parkinson's disease, emits radiation, which can harm unborn babies.

At least one of the ingredients in DaTscan, iodine 123, can pass into breast milk and cause serious side effects in infants. Women who are breastfeeding should consider not nursing their babies for six days after receiving DaTscan, pumping and discarding their breast milk, to allow the drug to be cleared from their bodies. Talk to your doctor about the risks of DaTscan if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Agent