Why should I see my doctor if I see spots and have diabetic retinopathy?

Jeffrey S. Heier, MD
Ophthalmology
As diabetic retinopathy -- an eye disease caused by damage to blood vessels of the retina (the innermost layer of the eye) -- progresses to its later stage, proliferative retinopathy, symptoms become more dramatic. You might notice spots that are really specks of blood floating in your vision. Although sometimes the specks will clear without treatment, hemorrhaging can occur repeatedly, often during sleep. Seek treatment immediately from an eye care professional if you notice specks obscuring your vision. Otherwise, bleeding may become more severe, and vision loss and blindness can occur. The sooner you get help, the better, as earlier treatment is more likely to be effective.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Retinopathy (Eye Damage)

Can high blood sugar cause diabetic retinopathy?
Blurry vision. Floating spots. Distorted images. If excess glucose (high blood sugar) damages th...
How are diabetic retinopathy and macular edema detected?
Diabetic retinopathy and macular edema are detected during a comprehensive eye exam that includes:Vi...
What Is the Leading Cause of Blindness?
What Is the Leading Cause of Blindness?
Is Eye Disease More Prevalent for Those with Diabetes?