Why should I see my doctor if I see spots and have diabetic retinopathy?

Jeffrey S. Heier, MD
Ophthalmology
As diabetic retinopathy -- an eye disease caused by damage to blood vessels of the retina (the innermost layer of the eye) -- progresses to its later stage, proliferative retinopathy, symptoms become more dramatic. You might notice spots that are really specks of blood floating in your vision. Although sometimes the specks will clear without treatment, hemorrhaging can occur repeatedly, often during sleep. Seek treatment immediately from an eye care professional if you notice specks obscuring your vision. Otherwise, bleeding may become more severe, and vision loss and blindness can occur. The sooner you get help, the better, as earlier treatment is more likely to be effective.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Retinopathy (Eye Damage)