What is diabetic macular edema (DME)?

Diabetic macular edema (DME) is the most common cause of visual loss from diabetes. DME means that the center of retina is swollen in reaction to elevated blood glucose levels. Normally, the retina can quickly respond to changes in light intensity. However, when the retina is swollen, it undergoes a process know as photostress in response to direct bright light and this can cause what might be described as a "white powder" effect.

Reducing chronically high blood glucose levels is the first place to start if you would like to focus on regaining the functionality of your eyes.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Retinopathy (Eye Damage)

Why should I see my doctor if I see spots and have diabetic retinopathy?
Jeffrey S. Heier, MDJeffrey S. Heier, MD
As diabetic retinopathy -- an eye disease caused by damage to blood vessels of the retina (the inner...
How does photocoagulation help treat diabetic retinopathy?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Photocoagulation is a treatment for diabetic retinopathy (diabetic eye disease). A strong beam o...
What Are the Symptoms of Diabetic Retinopathy?
What Is the Leading Cause of Blindness?
What Is the Leading Cause of Blindness?