What can I do to prevent diabetic retinopathy?

Jeffrey S. Heier, MD
Ophthalmology
Unfortunately, diabetic retinopathy -- an eye disease caused by damage to blood vessels of the retina (the innermost layer of the eye) -- has no early warning signs. The best way to protect yourself is to understand your risk and receive vision testing as necessary. Anyone with diabetes -- either type 1 or type 2 -- should get a comprehensive dilated eye exam at least once a year.

Comprehensive eye exams can detect macular edema and diabetic retinopathy in the earliest stages. If the problem is treated quickly enough, it is possible to prevent severe vision loss and blindness. A regular eye exam includes various procedures to detect early problems: a vision acuity test to identify problems with vision, tonometry, a glaucoma screening test, to measure pressure inside the eye, and a dilated eye exam to reveal damage to the retina and optic nerve. Ocular imaging, both with and without dye, may also be necessary.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Retinopathy (Eye Damage)

Why should I see my doctor if I see spots and have diabetic retinopathy?
Jeffrey S. Heier, MDJeffrey S. Heier, MD
As diabetic retinopathy -- an eye disease caused by damage to blood vessels of the retina (the inner...
What can I do to prevent eye problems in diabetes?
Keeping your blood sugars in control is the most effective way to prevent eye problems. Blood pressu...
The Effects of Diabetic Retinopathy
The Effects of Diabetic Retinopathy
Got Diabetes? 3 Ways to Protect Your Eyes